Pakistan joined UNESCO on September 14, 1949. A Section was setup in the Ministry of Education in 1950 for liaison with UNESCO. The PNCU was established on July 1, 1985; as an autonomous body through the Resolution of November 1984 under the Ministry of Education (devolved). The PNCU became as a Sub-ordinate Office of Ministry of Education since December 29, 2004, in terms of Supreme Court of Pakistan judgment. As such the organizations established through Resolution were deemed to be sub-ordinate offices as defined in Rule 2(1) (XX) of Rules of Business 1973, if within the stipulated period no legislation/Act of Parliament was passed by all such autonomous departments. After 18th Amendment in the Constitution, PNCU was initially transferred to Economic Affairs Division in April 2011 and recently to the Ministry of Professional & Technical Training renamed as Ministry of Education and Trainings w.e.f June 08, 2012.